District 11 Discussion Meet
What Is The Discussion Meet
The Discussion Meet is sponsored by the IFB Young Leader Committee.
It is an exchange of ideas and information, about a particular topic, in which contestants must analyze problems and determine logical solutions.
The contest involves a moderator who introduces the topic and contestants, start the discussion and keep discussion on subject, a timekeeper to ensure this discussion is kept within the prescribed time limits and contestants who exchange ideas and information in an effort to solve the problem.
Steps of the Discussion Meet:
1. Statement of topic by moderator
2. Each participant, in voluntary order, stands and makes a 30-second maximum opening statement
3. Open discussion period (20-25 minutes, exact time to be announced at start of meet)
• Discuss various aspects of the problem
• Discuss possible solutions
• Evaluate alternative solutions
• Project implementation of solutions
4. Participants are allowed 1 minute to prepare their closing statement
5. Participants, in voluntary order, stand and make a 1-minute maximum closing statement
Who May Participate
Illinois Farm Bureau ""MM," "MS," "PS," or "A" member in good standing, or spouse, on or before 7-days prior to the day of the contest, in the IAA Membership System.
who is not married and is between the age of 18 and 22 years and is a son or daughter of an Illinois Farm Bureau "MM," "MS," "PM," "PS" or "A" member, in good standing, on or before 7-days prior to the day of the contest, in the IAA Membership System.
A participant may not have reached his/her 36th birthday on or before January 31, 2020
Current members of the IFB Young Leader Committee are not eligible to participate (spouses are eligible).
Any contestant who has received a fee or honorarium for public speaking is ineleigible to compete
Contestants must be actively involved in agriculture to be eligible.
Past state winners are not eligible to compete.
Employees of the Illinois Farm Bureau, County Farm Bureaus, and COUNTRY Financial are not eligible to compete.
Qualified young leaders may compete in the Discussion Meet, Achievement Award or Excellence in Ag Award in the same year; however, they may only be named the state winner in one of the contests.